Friday 2 May 2008

The Wedding Bell Tolls

Today I received an e-mail from my parents to say that my cousin is getting married. My prettier, spoilt cousin, who never did quite as well as me in anything when we were children, yet somehow managed to go to Cambridge University, land herself a plum job in finance, and is now rich and successful. My cousin is also the first in our generation of the family to get married. I'm pretty sure it should have been me, as the oldest. Thank God I live in Australia and don’t have to go!

I haven’t been told anything about her fiancĂ©, but already I know he is tall, white, good looking in a bland, upper class way, mid to late 20s, athletic and highly-paid. Ahh, the bitterness! I am like a twisted old maid already! Maybe I should attend the wedding and give her an apple for a wedding gift, one part red, one part green.

Still, it could have been worse. When I saw the title of my dad’s e-mail, ‘A Wedding’, I instantly thought of my brother and Psycheau. The day they tie the knot will be...challenging.

No comments: