Wednesday 30 April 2008

I Actually Have a Job

What is it with people in shops and businesses telling me to come back in the middle of the day? Do I look like someone who doesn't have to work for a living?

Let's start with the Post Office, though really, I don't expect too much from them. Obviously it's in their customer charter to be as obtuse, stupid and unhelpful as possible in their dealings with the public. I no longer bother to get annoyed when they tell me to either go there between 9 to 5 to collect parcels, or send a delegate (ie a wife). I've now accepted that Post Office procedures were laid in stone in the 50s when you were either a) a housewife or b) someone who is married to a housewife. "That's ok," I say pleasantly to to the Post Office worker on the other end of the phone. "I'll send the little woman to collect it when she's doing her errands." Don't worry, they don't take offence. They either don't speak any English anyway, or don't give a shit - normally both.

But as I said, it's not just the Post Office. Last Wednesday the bus dropped me at my stop at around 7:00, somewhat later than usual, and I dropped into the beauty place just across from the bus stop, to make an enquiry. The girl at the desk was only a trainee, and couldn't help me. "But come in during the day, there'll be someone you can talk to then!" she said. I let that one by, but she kept saying it as if it was going to totally solve everything for me.

I don't understand. It's a mostly residential area and it was late in the evening, so if she'd wanted to make any assumptions at all, surely she would have assumed I was on my way home from work (which I was). I was wearing pinstriped trousers, for God's sake. I don't think the situation screamed 'housewife who's free to pop in at any time.' I suppose she could have thought that maybe I work really close by. But why would she assume that? I itched to explain the concept of 'employment' to her.

Am I seriously that well-dressed that people think I'm an heiress or a trophy wife? Or maybe I look unemployed. Uh-oh.

I guess my best option is to take the afternoon off so that I can pop in for a quick consultation with the daytime receptionist. You don't even get paid maternity leave in this country, but I'm sure work will understand when I explain my skin needs a beauty treatment. Thanks for your help, lady in the beauty parlour!

2 comments:

m said...

HAHAHA.
Love it.

Sprite said...

Just my rant for the day...