Thursday 8 May 2008

Bookcrossing

Today I released my first two Bookcrossing books into the wild!

One day about a year ago, I was wandering around the Centrepoint building in Sydney, needing the toilet if I remember rightly, when the Man exclaimed, “Oh look, a book over there on that bench!” I tried to hurry him past, feeling embarrassed. I get embarrassed over stuff like that. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s a knee-jerk reaction to his habit of picking up rubbish all over the place and bringing it home. But you can’t stop the Man on a mission, so I followed him to the bench. There was a book with a yellow post-it note on the front. It said ‘I am not lost! Please read me! See inside for details!’ Inside there was a sticker that said this was a ‘bookcrossing book’ that was travelling the world, and could the person who picked up the book log on to bookcrossing.com and register their find.

I was instantly completely charmed, because that is also the kind of person I am. It wasn’t my genre – murder mystery – but I was determined to read it anyway. I mean, isn’t that the cutest idea? I read the book and eventually re-released it.

A week ago I decided to register some of my own books to see where they’ll end up. I ordered some stickers from the website, generated some unique identification numbers and labelled up the books. And today my first two babies made their maiden voyage into the wild. Possibly the MacBogan Centre* wasn’t the best choice of venue, but it’s always possible that someone there can read!

I’m so excited to see if someone will pick them up and leave a message on Bookcrossing.com. That is exactly the kind of nerdy crap I adore!

*Macquarie Centre

2 comments:

Rosanna said...

I've never even heard of bookcrossing... but thank you for alerting me to it! It sounds like a fun idea!

Sprite said...

It is fun. Particularly as this morning when I logged into hotmail, I had an alert that someone has already picked up one of the books!