Saturday 26 January 2008

Shopping Online Is Great

I must say eBay and Amazon have totally been my friends this last year. There’s nothing quite like shopping online when you’re a) totally bored at work and b) need stuff and don’t have the time and inclination to go out and about for them in your precious after-work hours. The drawback to Amazon is that there’s no Amazon.com.au, so I have to order from Amazon.co.uk and pay delivery charges of around $352.80 per book, but what the hell. EBay on the other hand is a shopping Eden I have only just scraped the surface!

I’ve never actually bid on anything from eBay, being the cautious shopper that I am. ‘Buy it now’ items are my friends. Any day now I’m expecting a thrilled and grateful e-mail from my parents when they receive the now out-of-print cookery bible I’m having delivered to them in England. Hah! See if you can top that, brothers. That should see me on top of the offspring league table for a good while. I won’t even have to call them for weeks.

My latest item of desire is a new hair straightener. My old one is still working fine, but it takes a while and doesn’t last very well, for I have the hair from hell. And anyway, you can’t go wrong upgrading your beauty aids from time to time. After all, we’re none of us getting any younger, are we?

So I’ve decided to bite the bullet and get a really good one, no expense spared. According to pretty much everyone, this means a GHD. And there are quite a few on Ebay, purporting to be cheaper than the recommended retail price. Unfortunately I made the mistake of telling the Man that I’m thinking about buying one soon, and he won’t be happy until I’ve ‘done my research’, which normally means spending three weekends traipsing through dismal electrical stores and every outlet of The Good Guys in Sydney (twice for the ones in really depressing suburbs). And asked the advice of every female both of us have ever known.

So maybe I can start here and save myself some time and pain. Any reader comments on this? Is the GHD the best hair straightener of all time? And what’s a good price to pay for it? Please feel free to advise!



And happy long weekend!!!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

GHDs are awesome, unfortunately. They are at least as good as everyone makes out, if not better.

I don't own one because I am lazy and rarely straighten my hair, but if I was to splash out on a straightener it would be one of them.

Not sure about prices, I think your best off getting one through a salon, if you know someone in the biz (or are friendly with your HD) they can get them at like wholesale price which is still freaking expensive, but it's a saving.

I'd be wary of buying one on eBay, I've heard very occasionally there is one in a batch that just dies really young and if you buy it on eBay it would be much harder to get someone to take it back and replace it, I would assume.

Hope this helped :)

Sprite said...

I wish I'd read you response a few minutes ago, before I just bid on one on eBay!

I don't have any friends who are hairdressers, but I could ask my hairdresser, assuming I don't win the one on eBay (I bid really low because I'm cheap!)

Thanks for the advice!

Sprite said...

I bought the GHD, from a salon, by the way.