Thursday 22 November 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

It’s my birthday today. I got the angst out of my system yesterday so I don’t really mind today.

My boss gave me a bottle of wine – he’s very sweet – and is taking me to lunch.

The movie last night was ok. At the beginning I was determined not to follow it and to fall asleep pointedly, but in the end I got into it and it wasn’t too bad. The worst moment really was in the trailers, when I said, jokingly, of some hopelessly chick flick, “Now this is what we should have come to see!” The Man said “Really? You should have told me. I’m not really bothered about seeing this film, you know.” For a split second there I nearly lost it, but I kept it together and was a real lady about it. I’m so mature now at my age.

We didn’t stay out that late – not by normal people’s standards - but I was too tired to prepare my usual trough of fruit to take to work with me the next day. The two fruit flies that live on my desk will be disappointed when their 10:30 pears and apple slices don’t show up. I work on the fourth floor, and of course none of the windows open, but somehow these fruit flies always turn up whenever I open my fruit box. I don’t know where they go between feedings; maybe they’re nesting behind my files. I’m getting kind of fond of them. Lately I've taken to giving them their own portion on a piece of tissue, though this is partially to divert them from floating around my head.

2 comments:

Rosanna said...

Happy Birthday my dear. I hope you have a wonderful night! xo

Sprite said...

Thanks! My boss let me go home early so it's been great so far!