Wednesday 12 September 2007

Drought at Work

I am so bored at work at the moment.

Don't get me wrong - in principle, I'm not unfulfilled being the office dogsbody/bottom feeder. As long as I have plenty going on, I’m ok with being the dumb brunette who photocopies the agendas and stuff. I don’t mind underachieving as long as it keeps me busy. But seriously, I have so little going on right now, all I do all day is surf the net. It’s destroying my eyesight and making my shoulders chronically tense.

Every now and then throughout the day I do a roll call of my body parts to check everything’s still answering to HQ. It’s a bit like travelling Economy class. I’m probably at risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. I should wear pressure bandages to work (is that right?), or take an aspirin every morning to thin my blood.

The highlight of my week so far has been attending a presentation on something really boring, as a representative of my team. It’s kind of laughable that I got volunteered to be a rep for this. I have no clue what the business is about – I don’t care either so avoid learning anything – and my boss volunteered me because he didn’t give a shit and couldn’t spare anyone valuable. So I sit in at these meetings with all these grey, faded people who are about 70 years older than me, and secretly read under the table. (It’s like being back at school.) My boss gets to feel all noble that he’s given me something more than photocopying to do, and I pretend that I really appreciate the opportunity to ‘find out more about the business’. (That’s the phrase I always use. And I fawn a bit while I’m saying it.)

I shouldn’t complain about my cushy, do-nothing job. It’s just that I sometimes feel like everyone’s forgotten I exist! Surreal. I really need to get myself enrolled in some further study, to make good use of this time, before my boss notices how under-utilized I am and loads me up with work. And it’s not like I never do anything - sometimes I’m snowed under. Just not at the moment.

Moral of the story: don’t take an arts degree.

2 comments:

Rosanna said...

Can you please not tell me to take an Arts degree after I've started it? Cheers ;)

Sprite said...

Count on me to brighten your day.

Actually I was browsing a careers website with statistics on graduates from each area of study. It seemed like the largest group of humanities graduates (if not quite the majority) went into secretarial/clerical work. Isn't that kind of weird? And the average salaries were appalling. It seems that I'm doing very well in the usual field for arts graduates! So maybe I shouldn't complain.

Do you know what you want to do with your degree?