Monday 19 March 2007

Happy Birthday Sydney Harbour Bridge

It’s been a while since I posted. I’ve been so busy at work that I have not had a moment to write – what inconsiderate managers I have. It’s been almost stressful.

Yesterday Sydney was celebrating the 75th birthday of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. There wasn’t anything particularly special to get excited about. They stopped cars on the bridge and allowed people to walk across. If the radio was to be believed, a lot of people were getting excited about that but it didn’t particularly rock my boat – call me hard to please. I do enough walking, especially trying to get past people who walk slowly. The bridge walk would have been my Hell made reality. There were also flyovers by various aircraft, but if anyone was expecting them to fly really low, clipping the bridge, blowing out windows and flattening hairdos (ie anyone = me) they were in for a disappointment. The lighting of the bridge was pretty nice though. I often wish my grandparents were still alive, this time so that I could ask them if they remember the first year of the bridge. Living in England, they probably didn’t notice it.

I’ve been trying to get through ‘The Last Days of Socrates’, some writings about Socrates by Plato. Contrary to my expectations it was quite readable, but I’m struggling with the last section, ‘Phaedo’. I’ve sort of lost interest. He’s going on about how there must be life after death because there’s death after life, and from one comes the other, because they’re opposites, and other such silly wordplay. I know one of the reasons Socrates is remembered today was because he was groundbreaking in his methods of reasoning, but that still doesn’t make that tired old argument for the existence of God interesting when you’re going home on the bus after a hard day of work and some silly girl in the seat in front is yacking on her mobile about no topic whatsoever and you’re wondering if you’ll be home in time to catch the Simpsons. So, Socrates is going home to the library and I am working on a new book about environmental philosophy.

No comments: