Saturday 6 October 2007

Roamsome Dove Part III - Update

I got home from ballet class last night (hobbled home actually) to find the dove perching high up on the window ledge. Let me explain: We have full length windows at the back of the house. On top of the windows is a ledge, then from the ledge, more windows go up into a triangle, as our ceiling is not flat, it’s pointy. (I’m good at explaining house stuff, aren’t I? And I’m not even an estate agent.) Anyway, now that you’ve got a clear picture of where the dove was perching, you’ll appreciate that it must be making good progress in its flying skills. I just can’t get over how happy I am it didn’t die!

The Man and I are coming to the conclusion that our dove is a baby. It’s hard to tell with birds as the babies grow as big as their parents so quickly. But its wings seem a bit too short, so I guess its feathers haven’t grown to their full length yet. It could have been the runt of a litter that was taking its first flight, and that would explain why it was sitting in the road, unable to fly, while cats closed in on it.

Talking of cats – it’s taking me ever longer to get ready in the mornings. This morning I let the cat in, then shut it up in the front room with some food. It cried at the door for ages, but I’m not happy with the way it’s roaming free now that it’s baby bird season. So I ignored its plaintive cries, poor thing. Then, while the cat wailed, I let the bird out of its box and checked that it was happy and well fed. Meanwhile, cockatoos and parrots screeched outside, hoping for seed. It’s a wonder I get out of the house at all!

4 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, you're becoming like Birdlady or somethin'. Lol.

Sprite said...

Better than Catlady.

I just hope the neighbours can't here my shrieking baby talk through the walls.

Rosanna said...

It sounds like an urban zoo (tehe).

Ballet class? I am so very impressed!

Sprite said...

Rosanna: No need to be impressed. Anyone can go to ballet class. It's doing it well that counts!