Wednesday 21 February 2007

Big Ships part 3

As usual I did things the hard way. I knocked off work at 5:15 and spent the next 4 hours running around Sydney taking wrong turnings, panicking, sweating, panting, fatiguing most of the muscles in my body, mysteriously losing huge chunks of time, wondering why the hell I was lost in the urban jungle at 7:02 instead of standing on the Harbour Bridge taking excellent video footage of the lovely QE2 blowing its horn at the QM2 as it sailed past.

Crapness aside, there were also a lot of great moments. I went to Woolloomooloo to see the QM2, and then I saw the QE2 arrive at Circular Quay from the vantage point of the bridge. What a fantastic atmosphere! The water was teaming with excited vessels, and every time the QE2 sounded its horn, like the rumble of the Martian carriers in ‘The War of the Worlds’, it was answered by showers of rather less impressive tooting from all the surrounding boats. What wholesome fun!

I was also lucky enough to have a great spot for the fireworks. I positioned myself on one side of the Opera House steps, having a vague idea that they were being set off on the eastern side and not the west, in which case I’d have seen NOTHING AT ALL and cursed myself for a day of stupidity. Anyway, it was a great spot and I even managed to pick up some good photos with the camera. After they’d finished the crowd applauded, all the boats sounded their horns and flashed their lights in appreciation. I love that about Sydney, how people love their fireworks and are generous about showing it.

Finally, I met up with my dear partner and he kindly told me, about a million times, that I’d have had a much easier time of it if I’d simply gone to Mrs Macquarie’s Chair after work and stayed there. I’d have seen the QM2 up close, been able to watch the QE2 coming past, and then had an even more magnificent view of the fireworks. I was truly indebted to him for pointing out how easily I could have avoided the sweaty nightmare of the previous four hours and how unbelievably clueless I am with geographical orientation despite having lived here for two and half years. Chatting pleasantly on this and related topics, we made our way to Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and sat on the grass for a while, looking at the brightly lit QM2 and taking pictures. I was so tired by the time we went home!

No comments: