Tuesday 1 July 2008

Bowser Grousers

I'm back, having decided that if my work load doesn't ease off and allow me to blog, well, I'll ditch the workload. Bastards gave me a ridiculously paltry payrise at payrise time recently, so I'm sure they won't mind me slowing down and slacking off. You get what you pay for, right?

It was a pretty traumatic weekend. The Man and I have been having Talks. We've sort of broken up, only, we're still going on as usual. Look, I don't know what the hell's going on. It's all too complicated.

Anyway, on with the topical chit chat.

Some asinine breakfast show was on this morning - that's all they show in the mornings, somebody's mum and dad from the suburbs sitting on a sofa and twittering about the light news, and cartoons - and they were going on yet again about the petrol prices. It struck me not for the first time that while these people love shock news items about climate change, Antarctica's melting ice, the plight of poor cute polar bears etc, it doesn't stop them having self-pity parties whenever petrol rises a cent or two and they might be forced to *gasp* economize on driving just a teensy bit. You'd think that it might occur to them to say, "perhaps rising prices at the pump aren't such a bad thing, as we all know we should be cutting energy use and finding cleaner sources". I mean, cutting edge analysis might be a bit challenging at 7 in the morning but I'd appreciate some indication of intelligence. As it is, the idea that high oil prices might be a good thing for the environment doesn't get within in a mile of being mentioned. It's just greed, greed greed. My breakfast cereal is probably cannier than these stupid, smug, westie TV presenters.

Ah, rant rant. Is it nearly time to go home yet? Half an hour to go. Should be able to waste it somehow...

No comments: